Differences Between Leadership & Followership Discussion Paper
You have been working on a busy orthopedic unit for 6 months. The average patient length of stay in the unit is 4 to 7 days. The program from which you have graduated has subsequently graduated a new class, and three of the new graduates are coming to work on your unit. The nurse manager has told you that she is counting on you to “demonstrate leadership and assist these new nurses to adapt to the work environment.”
Based on the behaviors of an effective leader found in this chapter, how will you assist your new colleagues?
1. What are the differences between leadership and followership?
2. Explain the necessity for developing self as an effective follower.
3. Describe a situation in which a person acted as a leader. Explain how you concluded that
the person was a leader.
4. Review the different leadership theories discussed in this chapter. Which ones appeal to
you as a guide for your future leadership development, and why? Which ones might be
more difficult to apply in your life, and why?
5. Have the students identify three goals for the next year that will assist you in becoming a
more effective follower.