Market forms and increased competition create incentives to use resources efficiently and increase the quality of the services provided. Critically evaluate this statement. (Preferably, usesome of the following resources if you can)
- Merson, M.H., Black, R.E., & Mills, A.J. (eds.) (2006) ‘Chapter 1: The design of health systems’. In: International public health: diseases, programs, systems and policies. University of Liverpool/Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning, pp. 8–35.
- World Health Organization (2000) ‘Chapter 5: Who pays for health systems?’. In: WHO report 2000 health systems: improving performance, pp. 95–117 (pp. 107–127 in e-book).
- Robinson, S. (2011) ‘Chapter 3: Financing healthcare: funding systems and healthcare costs’. In: Walshe, K. & Smith, J. ( second edition), Healthcare management. Maidenhead: Open University, pp. 37–65.
- Tofts, A. & Walshe, K. (2011) ‘Chapter 22: Managing resources’. In: Walshe, K. & Smith, J. (second edition), Healthcare management. Maidenhead: Open University Press, pp. 452–470. Available from:
- Murray, C. & Frenk, J. (2000) ‘A framework for assessing the performance of health systems’, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 78 (6), pp. 717–731.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)