3000 words minimum, 3500 words maximum
Please submit online via the submission link provided. See submission tab.
On Grademark and in class
This assessment is designed enable students to show that they have integrated the learning about social determinants of health and are able to apply their knowledge in health practice. This assessment requires students to work back from a health problem. As in health practice, students are challenged to identify and understand the social determinants that lead to health problems in specific populations
- Choose one of the following health issues (You may propose an alternative health issue but approval must be sought from Professor Macdonald or Ms Dowd):
|Racial/Religious Discrimination||Drug Addiction/Substance abuse|
|Domestic violence||Diarrhoea/ Malnutrition|
|Depression||Social inclusion/Social Support|
|Sexually Transmitted Diseases||Cardiovascular disease|
- Identify a particular population that is affected by this health issue for example: men, women, youth, retirees and senior citizens, a racial or ethnic minority, GLBT community, lower SES groups. You may choose a combination of these for example: children from lower SES groups, Aboriginal men, or low caste Indian women.
- Describe your chosen health problem and state how it is affecting the population you have identified using evidence from the literature (300 words)
- Identify and discuss the social determinants of the health problem for the population you have identified. You must use evidence from the literature to support your discussion (800-900words).
- Identify the potential stakeholders that you would need to work with in order to address the social determinants of the health problem for this specific population to reduce the risk of these negative health impacts. (600-700 words)
- The word limits for each sections are guides only based on marking weightings, overall your essay should not exceed 1800 words
You will be assessed using the marking rubric on the next page. It is strongly advised that you consult the marking rubric submitting your assessment to ensure you have completed all sections of the assessment. However this checklist may also be helpful:
- Do you state the question at the beginning?
- Have you included an introduction and brief description of the health problem?
- Have you explained the extent to which the population is affected by the health issue? (Note you need to demonstrate that the population you have chosen is appropriate i.e. that this population is affected by the health problem more than the general population and provide evidence to support this).
- Have you explained using the social determinants of health why your population is vulnerable to the health issue?
- Have you identified the relevant stakeholders that would be required to address the health problem for this population and provided evidence to support your stakeholder recommendations?
- Have you provided evidence to support your various discussion points and position?
- Have you included a conclusion?
- Note you must be concise in your discussion to ensure you do not exceed the word limit
3.3 General Submission Requirements
? Typing must be according to the format below.
? 1.5 line spacing (between the lines)
? Font: Arial / Times New Roman / Calibri
? Font size: 12 pt
? Reference all the sources used to prepare your assignment via in text referencing and a reference list in APA format. Full details of referencing systems can be found at
? Save and keep a copy of your assignment
? The title of your assignment when submitted through Turnitin should contain your name student number and assessment title. For example: “NicoleKidman98765432 Health Policy”
Students who do not correctly format the title for their assessment as shown in the example above will be penalised 2 points.