Perception versus reality. In relation to weight and body image, perception and reality are often different. The average American woman is 5 feet 4 inches and weighs 140 pounds, while the average American model is 5 feet 11 inches and weighs 117 pounds. Which is a more realistic representation of a woman?
Contemporary advertisements and media can impact a person’s idea of body image as well as an individual’s culture and economic status. Think about the factors that influence the perception of body image. Consider how body image might affect an individual’s dietary choices and physical exercise. As you think about how perception and body image impact personal health, consider whether there is a genetic component to body weight and whether weight or body shape is a result of genetics or behavior.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 9 in Health: The basics, 10th edition. Consider the role nutrition plays in maintaining body weight
- Review Chapter 10 in Health: The basics, 10th edition. Think about how a healthy weight can impact body image.
- Review the article “Body image change and improved eating self-regulation in a weight management intervention in women.” Consider the impact of body image on dietary choices.
- Review the media “Dimensions of Health Wheel.” Focus on how the perception of body image affects health and wellness.
- Review the multimedia piece “Dimensions of Health Wheel.” Consider the role of genetics and behavior on body weight and shape.
- Review the multimedia piece “Dimensions of Health Wheel.” Focus on how the perception of body image affects health and wellness. Also, consider the role of genetics and behavior on body weight and shape.
With these thoughts in mind:
Select one of the Discussion Questions.
By Day 4, post three factors that influence the perception of body image and explain the reasons why. Then explain two ways body image might impact personal health and wellness.
By Day 4, post your position on whether weight and body shape is more of a factor of genetics or behavior. Support your position with references from this week’s Learning Resources.