Researching Health, Equity & Human Rights: Case Study Analysis- Report Writing Assignment
Task rationale: This task allows you to apply the knowledge and skills you have gained in the course to access, critique and analyse available data and other relevant information. You can then use that information to evaluate a health issue within a population using an equity and human rights lens.
Task description: For this task you need to write a report. In your report you must provide a description of a major health issue in a population and an analysis of how the issue relates to human rights, equity and peace.
How to Guide:
1. Choose a population (geographic population or cultural or national group).
2. Use the following headings to write your report:
Introduce the topic and the population you have chosen, provide an outline or signpost the sections of the report and note the main conclusion/s.
Set the context (historical, cultural, economic) for this population and describe the population with a focus on issues of power, social structure, equity and peace or conflict.
1. Outline the major health issues.
2. Identify one of the most significant health issues to address and justify your choice.
3. Outline the relevant determinants related to this health issue. Analyse how they are related to the context. Identify any current policies that address this issue or its determinants.
Human rights issues
1. Analyse how the identified health issue is related to equity and human rights.
2. Specify whether any human rights are being violated or any that are not being addressed, and refer to relevant literature, including human rights documents, to support your claim.
3. Analyse the human rights context. Has the country signed or ratified any relevant human rights documents? Is the country in a position to address these issues?
Briefly analyse how the relevant policies fit in terms of preventing or addressing the health issue and how they sit in terms of human rights. Do they support the relevant human rights or do they contravene the rights of this or another population in any way? Do they limit or enhance equity?
1. Summarise the findings of the report, noting the most important evidence/support
2. Highlight the significance of your findings or conclusions and any broader implications.