1. Identify a health problem or need for health promotion for a particular stage in the life span of a population from a specific culture in your area. Choose one of the Leading Health Indicators (LHI) priorities from Healthy People 2020 (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links). Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
2. Research a topic related to health and wellness associated with one of the Healthy People 2020 topic areas. Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
3. Submit your topic to the instructor for approval at least 2 weeks prior to the assignment (during Unit 3) but earlier if desired. All topics must be approved.
4. You will develop an educational health promotion project addressing the population/culture in your area. For or example, if you are in the Hispanic concentration, your project might be educational interventions to address how food choices are related to the high rates of diabetes among Latinos; or, a community project that addresses the statistic that Hispanics experience new HIV infections at more than twice the rate of whites; or, finding opportunities to intervene with Puerto Ricans, a Hispanic subculture, who suffer asthma at twice the rate of the general population (2020 LHI Topic Three: Environmental Quality: (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links).
5. General expectations
• All articles must be from nursing or scholarly journals and should include health promotion and wellness content. Articles must be published within the last five (5) years. If you are unsure whether the article is appropriate, ask your instructor. You could lose significant points if the article is not from a scholarly source and/or appropriate to the topic.
NR‐222 HEALTH AND WELLNESS
• Copies of articles from any Databases, whether PDF, MSWord, or any other electronic file format, cannot be sent via the Learning Management System (eCollege) Dropbox or through email, as this violates copyright law protections outlined in our subscription agreements. Refer to the “Policy” page under the Course Home tab in the shell for the directions for properly accessing and sending library articles electronically using permalinks.
• Please ask questions if you need clarification.
PREPARING THE ASSIGNMENT
1. Writing the Paper: You will explore the topic and explain the information in writing a 3‐4 page APA formatted paper.
- a. Select a minimum of three (3) scholarly nursing or research article (published within the last 5 years) related to your topic that include health promotion and wellness content. Students in a cultural
concentration will select at least one article specifically related to the cultural focus for this assignment. You may need to evaluate several articles before you find appropriate selections. For more information on how to choose a scholarly article, open the “Course Resources” tab under the “Course Home” Menu to the left of your Learning Studio (eCollege) course page and open “What Is a Scholarly Source.”
- b. Write a 3‐4 page paper (excluding the title and reference pages) using the following guidelines: Write brief introduction of the topic and describe why it is important to health promotion in the specific cultural population in your area.
- Include a description of the topic and the targeted sub culture or population (include statistics).
- Explain how the project relates to the Healthy People 2020 topic area you have chosen.
- Summarize the articles; include key points or findings from the articles.
- Discuss how you used the information from the articles for your Health Promotion Project. Provide specific examples.
- Describe the approach/approaches you developed to educate the target population about the topic. Include specific ways to promote lifestyle changes within the specified population relative to your specific culture. The approach should be appropriate for your cultural concentration. Write your conclusion and summary.
- c. Your paper must follow APA format. Include a title page and a reference page. Use 12‐point Times New Roman font and include in‐text citations (use citations whenever paraphrasing, using statistics, or quoting from the article). Please refer to your APA manual as a guide for in‐text citations and sample reference pages.