ENCOUNTERS AND EMPIRES, 1200-1550
Details: In 300-500 words develop a written argument and historical explanation for any of the following essential questions found in your course notes for weeks 1-2. In order to receive full credit for the assignment, the answer in your essay should include at least one example from each of the following sources:
- An example from our in-class lectures and discussions. (This can be a video link shared in class or a topic explained by the instructor.)
- An example from your assigned readings (in parenthesis list the text author and page number).
- A topic or term covered in your course notes or embedded powerpoint links, supplemented by your own independent research. (If using an outside resource make sure to list all of your references at the bottom of your submission).
- An open-ended question that speculates at an alternative historical outcome, had the featured event or individual turned out or acted differently.
Students are welcome to choose any of the following questions to answer and explain:
- Describe the nature of the first contact between European and North and South American civilizations? What circumstances helped lead the kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula to start on their campaign toward global conquest?
- What is Yali’s Question? How can these concepts be tied to questions relating to global inequities in the present day?
- What were the circumstances that helped give rise to Imperial dynasties in Asia, Africa, and the Indian sub-continent? What do these states have in common with one another? How do they differ?
- Describe the nature of the first contact between European and North and South American civilizations? What lead the kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula to start on their campaign toward global conquest?
- Describe the history of the great Pre-Columbian civilizations of North and South America. Explain the reasons for the collapse of important civilizations prior to European contact?