. Choose a Japanese cultural product that you are familiar with—it can be something you love or even something you hate. This choice will be the basis for all three parts of the essay, so it should be something you are willing to spend some time thinking and writing about. Consider the following guidelines when making your choice:
• If you choose a film, it should be feature-length (no short films or OAVs under one hour)
• If you choose a TV show or anime series, watch at least four sequential episodes (if one episode is under 20 minutes, then watch at least six). Choose episodes that you think will be meaningful or interesting to analyze—that may be the last four episodes in a series, or four
in the middle that make up a particularly interesting story arc, for example.
• If you choose a manga series, read at least four sequential issues. Choose issues that you think will be meaningful or interesting to analyze—that may be the last four issues in a series,
or four in the middle that make up a particularly interesting story arc, for example.
• I do not recommend video games because they take a lot of time and it can be difficult to go back and analyze specific dialogue, cut scenes, etc. However, if you wish to choose a video
game, please contact me first with your plan and we can discuss how to make it work.
• If you want to do something else (novel, album, art installation, etc.), please contact me first
so that we can talk about how much content is appropriate.
• Films assigned for the course weekly screenings are acceptable, except for Queer Japan (due
to limited access).
• You can use subtitles, dubs, translations, or even base your analysis on the original Japanese
language, if you are proficient. However, please use only official translations, subtitles, etc., not fan-made versions.
2. In 100-200 words, answer the following questions about the cultural product that you have chosen. Please write in paragraph form.
a. Contents: What is it about? What is the genre?
b. Production: Who made it, when, through which studio/company/label?
c. Consumption: What are the demographics of fans in Japan and around the world?
d. Reception: How famous or popular is the work in Japan and around the world? Did it win
3. Include full citations for any websites or other sources you use to gather information about consumption and reception. Remember that Wikipedia is not an acceptable source, but it can often lead to more official sources of information. Citations do not count toward the word count.
4. Write the word count at the end of the document.
5. Submit the assignment via GauchoSpace by 11:59PM on Monday 6/29.
6. You will receive full points for the assignment if:
• It is about a Japanese cultural product, and
• It was submitted on time, and
• It answers the questions about contents, production, consumption, and reception listed
• It is within 100-200 words, and
• No part of it is plagiarized.